Thursday, December 26, 2013

Designer Interview Series #3: Sonya Newstead



Happy Boxing Day!  Today I have the pleasure of interviewing Indie Designs Giftalong Designer, Sonya.  So let’s unravel Sonya’s GAL experience and love of lace while we get to know her a little better.  
Good'ay Sonya!


Which has been your most popular GAL design/s?
My most popular design so far is Radler.
Available on Ravelry for NZ$7.00


What has been the most exciting part of the GAL for you?
I loved watching everything unfold through the planning stages! The GAL itself has been fun to watch (and be part of), but it was amazing seeing everyone coming together on such an amazing effort. I may also have acquired a few new patterns in the process of watching everything happen too…

Will you have any new designs out in the GAL period? (before December 31)
I released Doublet, a baby/child singlet at the beginning of December.
Available on Ravelry for NZ$7.00


Have you every knit with eco yarns? If so, what pattern? Please provide a quick review on the yarn, too!
All my patterns have used local NZ yarns, but the only really eco one so far is Doublet, which uses SkeinzHeritage Organic Merino.  It is beautifully soft and bouncy, and I will definitely be using it again. The colour range isn’t huge at present, but I like what is available. I also have two designs in the works using possum yarns. That is a slightly different approach to being environmentally friendly, but it is meaningful to me (as well as being gorgeous yarn).

Where do you find inspiration for your designs?
At the moment I take inspiration from all over - my published shawls all started from thinking about different ways to create the shapes I wanted. Doublet came about because I had an idea of what I wanted in a baby singlet and couldn’t find the right thing anywhere. The design I’m currently working on started off with a stitch pattern I liked, and I have a few design ideas from places I’ve been, and books I enjoy reading. Anything goes, really.

In closing, with a website titled “String Herder,” it is clear why Sonya loves to design lace shawls!
 
Find Sonya around the world in Rangiora, New Zealand or locally on-line at the following places:
Ravelry: orbfa
Ravelry Designer’s page: Sonya Newstead

No comments:

Post a Comment