Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Always Have a Plan B!



Always have a Plan B seemed to be the theme of my latest design.  From the point of conception, things just didn’t go as planned, but IMHO turned out much better! 
original design

Plan A: My intention for this design was to release it in the spring and therefore it was named "Spring Forward." The idea first came to me over the summer while swatching with left over milky whey. I put it aside while I worked on other projects, planning to return to it in January. Ha! If I only knew! I loved the yarn so much that I asked for yarn support and Kollage agreed! Unfortunately, January and February came and went and still no yarn had arrived. Mail tends to be slow here in the mountains so I emailed Kollage again and a few weeks later my yarn arrived...too late for a spring release. On to Plan B!
May Flowers

You know I had to sneak in oe of my beloved Great Dane, Puddles... see all those flowers :-)


Plan B: Rename the pattern
Springtime Cowl – ah, nope.  That wouldn’t work either.  Unfortunately I had serious writers block (and not just with naming, I’m stuck for the next chapter of a children’s book I’m writing too).  So it was time to call in help: dad, mom, and sister.
Geometry in Motion – dad’s suggestion
Geometric Delicacy – mom’s suggestion
Gracefully Geometric – sister’s suggestion
This was the first time, dad’s suggestion actually won!  It turned out even better than planned since it inspired ideas for the perfect photo shoots.  
you remember dad, the man in the sunglasses reflection
Architecture is geometry in motion!

Shooting pool is also geometry in motion!

Plan A, Part 2: Create a 1 skein pattern for a knit in the round version.  After 5 inches and over 560 stitches worked, I decided the pattern needed adjusting!  I had a lovely spot next to the geometric shapes that was in need of its own dedicated lace pattern.  Rip, rip, rip, out it all came.  Does it hurt yet?  Can you feel my pain?  I just couldn’t bring myself to take a picture of the pile of yarn.  Wound it back up and started over.  But really, it was worth it!
Original lace from 2012

New lace, new color
With the pattern edited, I quickly turned the pile of yarn into an over the head, knit in the round, sample.  I was so happy with it!  Until, that is, the bind off.  (FRUSTRATION).  My plan for a one skein was ruined by the BO!
my bo yarn is getting short fast!
that's the end of the line for this skein
Plan B, Part 2: Again, on my dad’s input, I broke the cardinal rule of symmetry! The bind off does not match the cast on, but I think it looks much better because it gives a natural top and bottom and makes the design pop more.  The original bind off, when worn, was a little long and covered up some of the nice lace detail as it fell naturally.  I could have spent a lot of time fussing to get it to lay under, but in the end the yarn shortage became a benefit! I did a shorter bind off section, which, to my great delight, doesn’t interfere with the design.  The size “small” is a 1 skein wonder!



Plan A, Part 3: Create a 1 skein pattern for a knit flat button-up version.  The concept for this version changed drastically after knitting about 10 inches.  Yes, another experience of massive ripping was the result.  Originally I planned to do the repeat 3 times.  However, after using up almost an entire skein and not being able to get close to around my neck once, I re-evaluated the design.  I loved the pattern, but the width was not sensible for a button up cowl.  It would have slouched too much and thus distorted the beauty of the pattern. 

Plan B, Part 3: I altered the repeat and cast on again.  This time was much more successful.  I decided to wrap around the neck so as to expose the detail and put the button over the shoulder, French café style. 

So the long and short of what I learned from “Geometry in Motion” is that sometimes your design needs a bit of tweaking to make your vision a reality.

The “Geometry in Motion” pattern is available as a world exclusive on Patternfish until late-May, when it will be available on other sites (eco chic knits, ravelry, craftsy, etc.).  The pattern includes written directions, a glossary, pictures, and a chart for both the knit in the round (over the head) version and knit flat (button-up) version.  Tech edited by Katherine Vaughan.

 Don’t knit but want a finished Geometry in Motion for yourself?  The finished garment is available on www.ecochicknits.com/garments and www.copious.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment